Wholesale Gas and Power
GDF SUEZ Energy Marketing NA is the business unit of GDF SUEZ Energy North America responsible for managing wholesale commodity price risks across GDF SUEZ Energy North America's portfolio of merchant generation, LNG, and retail power contact assets.
The company's principal activities include merchant plant operations and wholesale gas and power:
- Transacting in forward natural gas, power and oil markets to hedge the risks of fluctuating energy prices and to reliably deliver physical gas and power to our customers.
- Scheduling and dispatching gas and power on a 24-hour a day basis 365 days a year for our merchant generation facilities.
- Selling custom-tailored wholesale products from our merchant generation plants to meet the needs of our customers.
- Providing energy management services to third parties.
The energy products that the company buys and sells are:
- Physical and financial power and power products, including green products.
- Physical natural gas in the U.S. Northeast, Southeast, Texas, and Pacific Northwest.
- Financial natural gas swaps and options.
- Physical and financial U.S. and European refined products and crude oil.
- Physical procurement of coal to supply our plants
- Emission allowance credits (including NOx, SO2, and REC's)
GDF SUEZ Energy Marketing operates in the Independent System Operator (ISO)-New England, New York ISO, PJM (a regional transmission organization), Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), Southeast, and Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC) areas of the U.S. The company is a Qualified Scheduling Entity (QSE) certified by the ERCOT ISO and provides energy management services to third parties.
Customers include local utilities, major financial institutions, and other wholesale market participants.
The company manages all the fuel inputs and power outputs from five GDF SUEZ Energy North America merchant generation facilities and will manage the commercialization of other plants under development.